Thursday, February 10, 2011

how do you contribute?


NAME: cody john laplante

AGE: 22

CURRENTLY RESIDING: i live in dover with UNH students/adam and zach from BLA

CURRENT PROJECTS: i write some songs by the primate now with my chord organ and garbage band

PREVIOUS ENDEAVORS: i was in a dysfunctional band Clarinet with andrew from BLA for 2008-2010 playing perverted pop on the keyboard and i was in Eggplant Dance-off! playing SKA saxophone from 2005-2007. i don't promote my music at all but it is necessary for me to eek out some songs anyways

HOW DO YOU CONTRIBUTE? i've always been into booking shows. i booked them at my parents house and at my parent's cabin but then i got this job at UNH booking concerts through a student entertainment organization, MUSO. As the music director i book concerts from start to finish in the Memorial Union Building at UNH. I get to book like 8-10 a year. From 60 kids to 420.

SOMETHING YOU ARE PROUD OF: i like to be able to pair different artists together on the same show and showcase the talents of my friends like pairing Interobang?! up with Big D and The Brave Little Abacus up with Genghis Tron. One of my favorite moments was the Phil Elvrum/Mount Eerie show. Jason Anderson played and we all circled around him and sang along eventually lifting him up onto our mass. Then Phil played and we all sat down and bowed our heads to his towering distortion. Booking his was booking one of my favorite musicians. i love local shows too, when people get a whole new respect for their peers after seeing them play a set of music.

WHAT HAS INSPIRED YOU TO CONTRIBUTE? i've always relied on music and drawn my inspiration and importance from my favorite artists. the opportunity to show new people these acts and to bring them here for everyone else who loves them wasn't one i could pass up. it's a ton of stressful hard work but I wasn't content with taking the year off, and knew that i wanted to get back into booking my senior year. somehow, a music scene creates a stronger and more cohesive community then other art forms and I think that this ability shouldn't be overlooked.

WHAT ARE YOU CURRENTLY LISTENING TO? i've been stuck on beat happening and daniel johnston for a while because lo-fi is all i know how to play. i can never get enough of modest mouse or built to spill. yesterday i listened to Paul Simon's Graceland 4 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment